Wednesday 13 May 2015

Set Dosa




 
Set dosa, which is served in almost all South Indian restaurants, comes as a set of two or three and is served  with vada curry, vegetable saagu, chutney or sambar. I searched a lot in internet and tried many different ways, but was nothing as good as served in the restaurants. It used to be so spongy, that it gets automatically melted in your mouth. But whatever I was preparing all these was just like uthappam.

One day I went to a restaurant in mysore with my aunty and ordered set dosa. I was sharing my experience about making set dosas to my aunty, when she told me the that I must change the way of preparing this. She shared the recipe with me and I was shocked when she said we should use puffed rice (pori) for this preparation. To be frank, I was not so convinced in the beginning, but anyways thought of giving it a try once. Damn!! Simply yummy, spongy and elastic, just as we have in typical South Indian good restaurants. The measurements are very easy to remember. Thanks a ton to my aunty for revealing the secret. Now I am ready to share the recipe with you all. You must try this one and I can guarantee you the taste!!


Ingredients

  • Sona Masoori Rice / Pacharisi - 2 cups
  • Puffed rice / Pori - 2 cusp
  • Urad dal - 1/2 cup
  • Poha / Beaten Rice - 1/2 cup
  • Fenugreek seeds - 2 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
  • Water - As required to grind the batter
  • Oil / Ghee to drizzle on dosas

Method

  • Wash rice well in water. Soak together Rice, Puffed rice and Beaten rice in water.
  • Wash urad dal well and soak along with Fenugreek seeds in water.
  • Soak the items in Step 1 and Step 2 separately minimum for about 5 hours, preferably overnight.
  • First, grind the items in step 1 to a THICK BATTER. So, be careful while adding the water. Never make it watery. It should be thick. Little more thicker than idli batter. It should be grinded to a smooth batter. Transfer it to a big vessel
  • Secondly,, grind the items in Step 2, in to smooth, but thick batter. Transfer to a vessel where you have the rice mixture.
  • Mix both together really well using your HANDS. The heat in your hand will help to ferment the batter quickly. 
  • Keep it in a warm place and allow the batter to ferment. It might take about 8 to 24 hours, depending on the climatic conditions prevailing in your place. The more warmer it is, more quicker the fermentation takes place and vice versa.
  • Once the batter is fermented, add sallt and mix well.
  • For preparing dosas, Grease your dosa pan with oil. Spread the batter very thickly on your pan. Drizzle some oil over the top. Cover the lid and let it cook on a medium heat for a minute or until the top part of your dosa is done and the bottom part is crisped up.
  • Transfer it to your plate and serve immediately along with chutney / sambar/ vada curry/ sagu/ kuruma. We had this with Green Vegetable Korma





No comments:

Post a Comment